18 August 2008

Letter 3.5

The election here is over and so is the faction that favored leaving the beach colony alone -- not out of kindness, but as a source of cheap labor. Rumors are rife they're going to bulldoze us under (though that would be a bit of a public spectacle, and maybe some immigrants don't have short memories of such actions) or burn us out (easy as felafel: just slip a few shekels to unemployed sephardim).

I doubt the climate with the bureaucracy can get much worse, in any case -- they're about as mean-spirited a bunch as I've ever had the misfortune to encounter.

You could say my sympathies for the country (except for the kibbutz and the desert) are at a low ebb. Any day now I could open my mouth and out could slip the words 'Occupied Palestine', and then they'd know what to do with me (unless I know first).

No comments: