9 May 2008

Letter 1.30

I receive no periodicals or papers here, but I was told, via letters from Europe, of the Arab-Israeli war. I suppose, too, I'll hear about it if either pushes the other into the sea. As for books, there is a library here, but almost all the books, save the Pali texts, are totally useless (including most of the commentaries on the Pali texts). They were all contributed free, of course, and by people who had, apparently, vested interests in the books they gave - a large share of the books are about flying yogis and such things, whereas I'm interested in learning to walk…

The riots in Detroit, from your description, sound as bad as the Watts riots in L.A. I can't say it surprises me - though one might have hoped that with a liberal council it could have been avoided. Or is the government no longer liberal? Maybe riots don't know the difference?...

No comments: