28 April 2008

Journal 22

The arañña is kept by an elderly monk and two novices. The elderly monk speaks English, which is a great relief (I was assured several times that he didn't), and made me quite welcome. One of the novices fanned me – presumably I was bordering on heat stroke. My robes were torn and soaked as if it had been raining. The other novice prepared a wonderful glass of orange juice. My guide, a villager, who was neither educated nor pseudo, seemed hardly fazed by the trip. The elderly monk has told me there are three elephants and a tiger hereabouts, but they have caused no trouble at all; so far, I assume; so far, this is an addition to the usual hazards. There are, on the other hand, no hazards from car accidents, lung cancer, etc., so it all balances out.

No comments: